Custom automation for rapid, precise fiber optic coil winding for gyroscopes
An example for Fraunhofer USA CMI's expertise in automation
While fiber optic gyroscopes (FOGs) have several advantages over ring-laser gyroscopes, the difficulty of cost-effectively winding a high performance sensing coil has kept the cost of FOGs excessively high. In order to cost-reduce the manufacture of FOGs, Fraunhofer USA CMI developed a high-precision, computer controlled winder for the production of navigation and strategic-grade sensing coils. With over 15 coordinated servo-controlled axes, the winder is capable of cost-effectively winding, with minimal touch-labor, strategic grade coils for long-range navigation and space applications.
A Custom Designed Machine
This machine was customized for a number of large defense contractors, including Honeywell Corporation, and builds upon a long-standing relationship between Fraunhofer USA CMI and the world's premier fiber-optic gyroscope manufacturers.
- Developed an automated, ultra-precision coil winder
- Cost reduced the production of fiber optic gyroscope-sensing coils
- Decreased winding time significantly while increasing quality and performance
- Included error detection and correction
- Achieved dynamic tension control within ±0.5 grams @ 60 RPM
- Achieved steady-state tension resolution of 0.05 grams
- Achieve winding speed of 30+ m/min