Internship: Rapid Antibiotic Susceptibility Diagnostics
Start Date: CURRENTLY OPEN
Application Deadline: 2 weeks before intended start date
Standard length of internship: 6 months
Thesis availability: Yes
Fraunhofer CMI – Center for Manufacturing Innovation – conducts advanced R&D (Research and Development) and engineering solutions for a broad range of industries, including biotechnology/biomedical, manufacturing, and renewable energy. Our services include product development, device development, high precision automation systems, rapid in vitro diagnostic assays, and rapid in vitro diagnostic instruments.
Responsibilities and learning opportunities:
Our Rapid Antibiotic Susceptibility project focuses on developing a system and methodology for rapidly detecting antibiotic resistance in bacteria. It includes placing the bacteria in microfluidic channels and applying shear stress to the bacteria immobilized at the bottom of the channel. This opportunity also touches on the development of rapid sample preparation methods, from human blood.
While interning for this project, you’ll have the opportunity to work with Dr. Maxim Kalashinikov as your supervisor, and your task will include:
· Studying the effect of stresses to potentiate the action of antibiotics
· Integrating sample preparation from blood to the assay
· Running experiments on the bacteria to validate the model
· Designing and building microfluidic devices
What we expect:
· A good academic record in biology, biotechnology, or a similar field
· Ability to accept a high degree of responsibility in a team-based organization, combined with the ability to work independently
· Experience with microbiology, bacterial cell culture, or similar field is required
· Intercultural competences and motivation to integrate into American culture
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
· Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
What you can expect from us:
· Opportunity to acquire practical research experience through responsibilities.
· Integration as a fully valued member in our team
· Housing in a shared apartment with fellow interns and a monthly stipend
2) Send an email with Your Name and suggested internship in the subject field.
Example: Meichelle Fraunhofer for Rapid Antibiotic Susceptibility Diagnostics Internship
3) Attach your cover letter, resume, transcripts, and any letters of recommendation. Single PDF files are preferred, not required.
4) Send your email to email@example.com.
Please note, Thesis Projects ARE Available with this internship.